CJ Tool and Mouldings Logo

Injection Molding vs Injection Moulding

Have you noticed within the Plastic Manufacturing industry in the UK, you see ‘injection moulding’ spelt as ‘injection molding’? Moulding is spelt differently across the world-wide web, and can often bring some confusion to people with which spelling is the appropriate one to use.

In fact, the meaning injection molding and injection moulding is exactly the same. It is a primary process for producing plastic components. It is fast and used to produce large volumes of identical items from high precision engineering components to disposable consumer goods.  There are several processes of molding or moulding plastic into useable shapes, each method has its own benefits and requires a specific expertise and skill to execute. The injection molding or the injection moulding process is one of the most widely used and counts for a significant proportion of all plastic products.


Where has Injection moulding or Injection molding come from?

American inventor John Wesley Hyatt together with his brother Isaiah patented the first moulding or molding machine in 1872. This machine is quite simple to the machines we use today at CJ Tool and Mouldings.


Should I use the term Injection Moulding or Injection Molding?

The term injection molding is the American version. Where the word ‘moulding’ is the English meaning.

If you are in the UK it is grammatically correct to use Injection moulding. Although the meaning between the two is the same.

Many of the differences between American and British English date back to a time when spelling standards had not yet developed.


Our team will be more than happy to help, advise and quote for your injection moulding requirements.

Looking for more information? Check out our blog, News & Views for useful articles, tips and tricks on plastic injection moulding. 

Added: 08 Aug 2017 12:37

Back to News